Water melon is juicy, sweet and large fruit. It is very popular among all ages whether children, adults or aged people. It satisfies the need of quench of summers due to which it is known as summer cooler. Its cooling agents provide relaxation and respite from the burning sun.
Different color watermelons taste a little different from each other because of the substance that gives them their color. The red color of water melons is due to the lycopene present in it. The amount of lycopene present in watermelons determines the amount of color in watermelons.
Water melons are of different types. Some have green rind on the outside and red-pink flesh inside while some have yellow flesh inside too. This is due to the different enzymes present in them which brings a variation in its color, taste and size. The flesh can be seedless, depending on the variety of the fruit.
Watermelon’s outer rind is not edible but it can be used as vegetable. The rind can also be pickled to preserve it after the addition of preservatives. Mostly watermelons are spherical, round or oblong in shape and they come from a vine-like plant. They generally grow on creepers but the creepers are not climbers. Watermelons are bulky and heavy. Thus the tendrils are not strong enough to bear the weight5 of the heavy fruit.
Watermelons are a rich source of vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6 and vitamin B1. They also have a high amount of potassium, magnesium, carotenoid antioxidant and lycopene. It is actually made up of 92% of water and 6% of sugar. China is the leading producer of watermelons. Watermelons have very low calories but high amount of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Benefits of watermelons
It is also good for our bones as it contains potassium which is necessary for the retention of calcium. In this way it gives stronger bones and joints. It also reduces the possibility of osteoporosis.
Being low in calorie it helps in reducing body fat. Watermelon has citrulline which reduces the accumulation of fat in fat cells. It is generally recommended by trainers and fitness freaks. It gives you a full feeling along with taste and also helps to stick to the diet.
The water content increases metabolic activities and thus helps greatly in waste emulation. This in turn stabilizes the weight of the person.
The potassium found in watermelons is a natural electrolyte. It helps in the regulation of muscles like contraction and extension in our body. The health of muscles remains intact. The problems of cramps can be well dealt with by including a healthy diet in our eating habits.
Cramps are generally faced by the aged people due to weakening of joints and watermelon is really helpful for them in curing cramps as well as a number of heart diseases, joint pains, muscular pain etc.
The problem of fluctuating sugar level can also be dealt with the eating of watermelons. It makes sure that it soothes the taste buds but does not inject sugar in the system as the body is incapacitated to deal with the load of sugar in the body due to the varying secretion of insulin.
- The fully ripe watermelon contains the compounds that have anti-inflammatory properties. Thus it also prevents the body from overheating.
- It reduces acidity and boosts the immune system also.
- The beta-carotene present in watermelon is converted into vitamin A after entering into our body. Vitamin A is essential for our eyes, skin, teeth and bones. Thus, watermelon indirectly helps in improving up sight. Watermelons are recommended by eye specialists all over the world for the treatment of vision related problems. Watermelons provide the much needed richness and strength to the eyes for the functioning.
- Watermelon detoxifies our system and throws all the waste out in the form of sweat and excreta. Eating a watermelon is like an internal jogging session as it rejuvenates the organs and leaves the body in a state of fitness and health.
- Watermelons have high content of water. Eating it increases the flow of urine and gets rid of fluid wastes from the body.
- Vitamin C found in watermelon helps in healing wounds also as it increases the immunity by stimulating the sleeping white cells.
- It also hydrates our body in hot summer days. The juice of watermelon have electrolytes which helps in the prevention of heat stroke. Every year when the kink touches high degree in the summer, people sweat and die. Cases have reported of people falling sick from heat stroke or in critical cases were dying from the unbearable heat of the sun. Watermelon is a seasonal fruit and is mostly enjoyed in summer due to its cooling properties. The consumption of watermelon increases drastically in the summer and tends to be less in the other months which initially pulls the supply of it.
- Drinking watermelon juice before intense workout helps athletes to save them from muscle pain, regulates their blood flow and maintains a high steady heart rate.
- It contains dietary fiber which is very important for our digestive system. The dietary fiber is not a vitamin or mineral itself but it assists greatly in the digestion of food.
There are 1200 varieties of watermelon found till date by the human being. The heaviest watermelon was grown by Lloyd Bright in Arkansas, USA. It weighed about 121.93 kg. The watermelon is the official state vegetable of Oklahoma which depicts the importance of consumption of watermelon.
This fruit can be classified as a fruit s well as vegetable. It grows from a seed and that’s why it is considered as a fruit. It is considered as a vegetable because it belongs to the cucumber, pumpkin family. It can be grown in fields like vegetables.
Watermelons are loved by all people. The green beauty tastes amazing and has some extraordinary health benefits. Folks, if you haven’t had a watermelon till now, then you should definitely try. It’s worth it’s praise. Watermelon will always be my favourite fruit because of the juicy rich taste which tempts me to savour it every time I use watermelon.