To see the unseen and to know the unknown has been the natural instinct of mankind since time immemorial. Man has been called ‘wanderers’ as they wander from place to place in search of food and shelter. Since those primitive ages, man’s desire to unravel the unseen has only grown stronger.
There is a very interesting word in the German script called ‘Wanderlust’ which means a desire to travel. This ‘Wanderlust’ of men is what has deciphered many discoveries in the understanding of mankind and their subsequent transition into civilized beings. It was this wanderlust that made Christopher Columbus to embark on a journey and find the Americas.
Stress in Today’s world
In this world of ever-growing competition, it becomes imperative for us to take break and indulge in a bit of travel and tourism. Daily we are under extreme mental stress and agony irrespective of age and profession. From students to office goers all are pulverized under the bulldozers of immense work pressure.
Because of rapid industrialization and modernization, man has turned into a workhorse working day and night chasing virtual figures and aspirations.
Students get crumbled under the homework and assignments so much so that many of them give up midway and commit suicide leaving us all to transcend us all to their eternal abode. In light of all these circumstances, travel and tourism becomes an extremely important part of our lifestyle, not only for relaxation but also for our existence and relaxation.
Why do we need to travel?
- Travelling is an extremely easy way of relaxing and refreshing our mind, body, heart and soul.
- It increases our output at work after we return from a relaxing tour,
- Visiting new places and people helps we recognize the different forms of people. Travelling is also a very good exercise for knowing people and how the world works. This helps us deal with difficult situations later in life.
- The world today is increasingly coming close together. In this circumstance it becomes imperative for us to be able to mix and work with people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds. Travelling to various
- Seeing new and experiencing new cultures opens up our mental walls of provincialism and makes us open to unorthodox ideas and help us dispose of our preconceived notions and prejudices.
- Life on this earth in the form we know now has come to this stage after numerous stages of evolution and years of trial and error. A significant portion of this endeavor has still not been uncovered. Travelling to various places, many historians and archaeologists have discovered different civilizations, scriptures and many more.
- Tourism is also extremely beneficial for the revenue of a nation. Promoting tourism facilitates ingress of foreign nationals into our country that generates huge amount of revenue from tickets, entry fees, visa applications, stay permits, etc.
- As a result of promotion of tourism, foreigners coming to our nation help spread our cultures and traditions throughout the world. This improves our recognition and respect in the global sphere.
Procedures involved in travelling
In today’s age of global corruption and the plethora of fraudulent activities, the government of different nations have placed various methods of checks in order to restrict the entry and exit of criminals, outcasts and extradited individuals.
Travelling is usually undertaken through three major routes:
- Air travel – through airplanes, private jets, parachutes, etc.
- Water travel – through passenger cruises, cargo ships, speed boats etc.
- Surface travel – Travel by car, bus, trains, etc.
Usually surface travel occurs mostly within the country and does not require many documents. However it is always advisable to carry proof of identity wherever we go.
However sometimes, through land travel one can go beyond country borders, like through the Delhi – Lahore Bus, the Samjhauta Express connecting Delhi in India and Lahore in Pakistan, in which cases supporting documents, clearances and passports have to be presented.
Travelling by ships however requires a few more documents like Visa and passport. The norm for air travel is by far the strictest of the three, and requires a variety of documents:
- A genuine passport with a validity extending at least six months from the date of commencement of travel.
- A Visa that is valid for the country that we are travelling to. This can be obtained from the embassy of the foreign nation within our country. Some countries also offer Visa on arrival, i.e., Visa given on arrival at the airport of the foreign nation with the payment of a fee.
- Some countries make it mandatory for a travel insurance without which the trip would not be permitted.
- Air Ticket – Some countries let us travel to them only with a conformed return ticket. One way tickets are however allowed with no bar for Students and People on work permit. Student Visa and Work Visa have to be filed for separately, following which there will be a verification done by the police and it will be solely on the discretion of the embassy that will approve the application.
While travelling to foreign nations especially to countries with an existing problem of civil wars, and terrorism, one should be extremely vigilant about the people they meet and should not get involved in any kind of revolutionary movement and activities.
Some tourists also fall victim of pick-pockets which are more common in the developing nations as well as in the Latin Americas. Smuggling of drugs through airports is a cognizable offence often resulting in harsh punishments and even death sentences.
We should pack our own bags and baggage and should not accept any unidentifiable object from any unknown or known persons to take with us for someone else.
Travel and tourism is one of the most amazing activities that mankind has ever embarked upon. It was only because of the traveling instinct of individuals that trade flourished which in turn fueled industrialization, subsequently resulting in the march of civilization towards progress and becoming composites.
However, there are certain hazards that must be kept in mind to enjoy the bliss of travel in its ultimate form.
Leave a Reply