Good morning/afternoon to everyone.
My name is Rahul and I am privileged to deliver a speech on the topic – ‘Save Trees’. This sounds more like an outcry than just a slogan. Like Earth itself is crying out to us and not ourselves.
Some people take it for granted and they start to deplete the Earth of its beauty and majesty without realizing the scope of damage they have done. The rate of reforestation is staggering as compared to rate of deforestation.
“A person who plants a tree, plants a hope.” By Lucy Larcom, Plant a Tree
Let us consider some of the most important necessities that trees deliver us:-
- Trees filter air. Trees use the atmosphere’s carbon dioxide in the process of photosynthesis and produce oxygen, which is necessary for every living being. It is as if trees inhale our toxicity and exhale fresh air.
- Trees maintain the weather and climate in any area by bringing rain.
- Trees prevent soil erosion. The roots of the trees stretch deep into the soil and hold it together. No wonder why there are more landslides today than it has ever been.
- Trees keep a land fertile. You may ask how? Because you may think that trees only absorb nutrients from the soil. However, the truth is that the fallen leaves of the trees works as excellent compost.
- Trees are a natural habitat to a huge variety of insects. Birds built their nests on trees because they feel safe from reach of predators.
- Trees prevent global warming. The greenhouse effect causes global warming because of the carbon dioxide trapped inside atmosphere. Trees counter them by producing oxygen.
- Trees bring peace. Don’t you like travelling on a road on whose sides beautiful trees are planted? They create a serene and calm environment.
- Trees provide nutritious food. Trees produce fruits and vegetables that are a part of everyday diet for each one of us. Not only us but also all herbivores like giraffe, elephant, cow, etc. are dependent on trees for their growth and nutrition.
- Trees are of great commercial value.
- Wood provided by trees is used for cooking purposes especially in the rural parts.
- Many lifesaving medicines and drugs are prepared from the raw material of trees.
- Wood pulp is used for manufacturing paper.
- Trees provide latex needed for manufacturing rubber.
- Wood is used in every construction work. Many musical instruments like Guitar, Sitar, etc. are made out of wood.
- Wood is used in all furniture.
- Wood is used for a huge variety of art works.
- Trees are connected with our emotions. Trees bring back our nostalgic childhood memories.
The effects of their depletion is beyond what we can imagine. One day our everyday activities will come to halt because of our own destructive activities or our silent passivity. Until we voice our concern, it is never going to change.
“What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” By Mahatma Gandhi
The job of saving and protecting trees is not just for the environmentalists, it is the responsibility of each and every one of us. Let us not just sit back passively and expect everyone else to do the job. Instead we must contribute our own part in saving trees:-
- Afforestation: – If each one of us plants one to five trees in our lifetime, just imagine there would be 15 billion more trees.
- Awareness :- In every colony if there will even be two students ready to undertake responsibility for a campaign.
- Paper recycle:- We should wisely and thoughtfully use paper and always recycle it.
- Donate:- We can donate money and other resources to the various non-profit organizations working for this cause.
Let us hold hands in unity and pledge to plant at least one tree in our life time.
“If I knew I should die tomorrow, I would plant a tree today” By Stephen Girard