An American sociologist, Kingsley Davis, coined the term “population explosion” as the rapid increase in the birth rate of human beings and a low mortality rate.
July 11 is observed as World Population Day.
- Now moving to the condition of India, it is 2nd most populated country after China. India covers almost 18%-19% of the world population.
- According to the UN report in 2019 – INDIA will surpass china by 2027 and will be the most populated country in the world.
- India’s population growth is not uniform, and there is rapid growth from the last few decades.
- We can say that only economically weaker sections of society have majorly contributed to the growth of the population.
- Our country has a 13% unwanted fertility that is the result of unplanned pregnancy or unwanted pregnancy.
if each family goes for unplanned pregnancy, it will be challenging for India
Why there is a rapid increase in population?
- Industrial revolution – mainly the growth of humans started in the industrial revolution, including scientific revolution, people began living more comfortably than before, with more employment including the production of food all these contributed to the population growth.
- Discoveries in medical science – the 20th century witnessed as the remarkable production of antibiotics and vaccines and therefore played a significant role in decreasing the mortality rate.
- better health care – there was a rapid increase in the making of hospitals, health care, and more improved treatments
- fewer deaths – there are a certain number of vaccinations programs, more patients are being cured
- food storages minimized – as there are very few deaths from starvation, and more and more food is produced
- Improved nutrition due to caring and advanced growth of technology
- Large scale immunization against the fatal disease.
- Fewer infant death – as above all factors, we can see that over the years, our industrial growth, with scientific growth, has increased, proper care is given to the infants are letting them live longer.
As a result, more children are contributing to population growth by reaching the reproductive age.
Factors responsible for the population explosion in India-
- Illiteracy-rural people are majorly contributing to the country’s population who are illiterate, ignorant. They even do not know the functioning of the reproductive system
- Traditional beliefs- Indian family have beliefs that child is a gift of god and avoid unplanned pregnancy.
- The desire for the male child- this is a preeminent problem in India that the male child is required to keep the name of the family. They keep trying for a male child and, in return, often give birth to many children.
- Religious and social reforms- India is a place of religious and social customs and does not even consider family planning norms.
- Lack of recreation-as poor people and poverty have no recreation other than sex.
- Economics reason –some families consider children for their increasing family income.
Why there is a need for adopting control measure –
- Per capita incomes come down
- General health goes down
- Pressure on natural resources for rising population like-food, water, forest, energy, land mineral.
Some of the statistical terms for population-
Demography-statistical study for the human population.
Population density-number of people per square kilometers.
Natality – live birth per 1000 people of population per year.
Mortality- live death per 1000 people of population per year.
Growth rate population- the difference between natality and mortality rate.
Population education and population control
- Organizing camping in rural for awareness for population control- population control message should be reached as many people, including the remote areas
- Women and men should be educated about the usage of contraceptive methods, family planning, disadvantages of a big family, and last but not least, about women empowerment, employment and to get admission of their children in the government school and make a brighter future for them.
- The advantages of a small family should be delivered.
- China is almost reaching the policy of 1 child per family, whereas India is struggling hard for two children per family.
- Marriageable age should be higher
- The couple should be educated about the contraceptive method to delay the birth of their first child and the second.
- The inverted red triangle is a famous sign of family welfare in India.
- It is often displayed in the offices and hospitals
- Our advice is free of cost for people who need help, including the care of children and mothers, including their oral rehydration therapy, etc.
- It encourages to have a small family.
Methods of contraception
- hormonal method(pills)-
- barrier methods
- sperm killing agents
- intrauterine devices
- surgical methods
- Tubectomy for females
- Vasectomy for males
- Induced abortion or MTP
Effects Of Population Explosion-
poverty- poverty is the problem that arises due to the population explosion; over 800 million people are poor in India because they are not educated enough; some are mainly HIV / AIDS positive. Giving birth to too many children are leading them to poverty.
- Malnutrition – don’t have enough food
- Child labor – no time to get an education and enjoy childhood.
- No education means no higher posted jobs
- HIV/AIDS – slum areas have especially this disease because of not wearing condoms and spreading the virus to each other. This incurable disease infects more than 2.7 million.
Unemployment – As in this year 2020, due to the coronavirus pandemic, there is a rapid increase in unemployment that is by 24%, which is astonishing but true, and then it further leads to crime if the person is not employed.
“Poverty is the main cause of crime”-justice markedly katju.
Global warming and shrinking of forests – population and climate change are interlinked to global warming we all know global warming is a severe problem for the whole world. Every individual is directly or indirectly contributing to the increase in the temperature. Due to the shrinking of the forest, which is interlinked to population growth as more birth are taking place, more forests are cut down for houses and flats, and the trees do not observe enough harmful emissions.
Population explosion is a severe problem in India as it is affecting the natural resources and making India more dwell into economic crisis. After considering all the factors mentioned above, the population explosion is a curse to India because of its financial crisis. If it further continues, there is no way back home; India will enter into the stone age again. The government should run more and more awareness programs for population control and should reach to the norm of 2 children each family.
Leave a Reply