Peninsular plateau is kind of a tableland, which is composed of the old crystalline, metamorphic and igneous rocks. It is considered as the oldest land mass and it was formed because of the drifting of Gondwana land. Plateau is made up of long valleys and also surrounded by round hills.
Table of Contents
There are two regions of peninsular plateau
- The Central Highlands
- The Deccan Plateau
- It is lying in north of the Narmada River.
- Malwa plateau’s Malor portion is known as the central highlands.
- In north of central highland Vindhya range is situated.
- Flow of rivers from central highlands is Chambal, the Betwa, the Sind, and the ken.
- In east central highland is wide but narrower in west.
- Triangular landmass is called as Deccan plateau which lies in north of the Narmada River.
- Tributaries of Godavari River and Godavari River drain most of the northern portion of the plateau; it rises in the Western Ghats.
- It is higher in the west.
- Highest peak of the western Ghats is AnaiMudi Hills.
- The two majestic waterfalls of Deccan plateau are Sivasamudram and Hogenakkal waterfalls.
The Plateau which is triangular shaped of India extends from south to indo Ganga plain to Kanyakumari. On the surface of earth Plateau is one of the oldest surfaces.
The ranges those divides peninsular plateau are Aravali and Satpura ranges in the west and Mahadeo and the Kaimur range in south. Between Ahmadabad andDelhi Aravali ranges are extending and these lies in the western side of the plateau.
Features of Central Indian Plateau
- In southern part highest peak of the hill is of Abu hill in which the height of Guru Sikhar is 1722m.
- Noted ranges of plateau are the Satpura and the Vindhya.
Plateau encircled with mountains and hills is called as Deccan Plateau. In south India Deccan Plateau forms its large portion.
Talghat which is near Nasik and Bhorghat which is near Pune, there are two mountain gaps which connects Mumbai by Indian railway and Road.
Eastern Ghats highest point is Mahendragiri which is 1680m. In south Karnataka at Nilgiri hills Eastern Ghats and Western Ghats meet.
The highest peak of Nilgiri mountain is Doddabetta, whose height is 2637 m. Plaghat gap is south of Nilgiri.
Lava plateau is greatest part of Maharashtra and also called as Deccan Trap. Dissection of plateau from the Rivers had given rise to the hills those are flat topped. Beside Maharashtra trap is also spread in Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat. Deccan plateau is consisting of volcanic rocks.
Eastof Maharashtra lies on the upper Mahanadi Basin or the plain of Chhattisgarh. Major central part of plateau is consisting of Ranchi plateau. Maharashta Lava plateau is spread in South west Karnataka plateau and south east by the plateau of Telangana.
People of Deccan Plateau
For various people Deccan plateau is home. There are various languages of various people. Bhil and Gondcitizens stay in hills and they talk different languages that come under European group of Languages.
Language of northwestern segment of Deccan plateau is Marathi in Maharashtra state which is Indo-Aryan language’s one of the type. Most of the crops in Deccan plateau is of Cotton, Sugarcane, Rice, and other products can also been seen.
Tourist places of Peninsular plateau
There are many attractions which attracts tourist to visit that place so there are many places in peninsular plateau which attracts people. These are Aurangabad, Bangalore, Belgam, Hampi, Mysore, Ooty, Hyderabad, Hampi.
Biodiversity of Deccan plateau is very famous. There is the range of flora and fauna which is very exotic. Plant life is totally controlled by weather here. If there is bad weather than plants will not survive for long time period. Here the falling and rising hills have very superficial soil.
Varieties of flora are: Anogeissuslatifolia, acacia catechu, Terinaliatomentosa and many more.
Major variety of the jungle of plateau is sandalwood. The population of elephant is highest in Deccan plateau. And there are various variety of birds. There are two top priority tiger conversation units those are located in plateau area. There are 75 species of mammals.
Threats of Deccan plateau is unwarranted gathering of fuel wood, mining, dams setup, industrialization, colonization to relocate people.