Our honourable Prime Minsiter, Narendra Modi announced the launch of the Fit India Movement on 29th August, 2019 to encourage Indians to pursue a healthier lifestyle. The launch of the movement was at a ceremony held in New Delhi to commemorate the National Sports Day. This was followed by the launch of the Fit India School Rating System on 5th December, 2019.
Here, we have put together two essays on Fit India School in English for the benefit of primary and secondary school children. We also have a bonus essay on Fit India Movement at the end of this page.
Short Essay on Fit India School (200 words)
The Union Minister for Human Resource Development, Ramesh Pokhriyal and the Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports, Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Fit India School Rating System on 4th December, 2019.
The Fit India Program is a unique initiative from the Central government to encourage Indians to lead a healthier lifestyle and understand the importance of staying fit through physical activity. The Fit India School rating system will improve the visibility of schools at a national level.
Procedure for Schools to be awarded the Fit India Star Rating
- There is a set of criteria that every school has to satisfy in order to be eligible for the Fit India School 3-star and 5-star ratings. Some of the requirements are as follows:
- All teachers in the school would have to spend at least 60 minutes exercising.
- The school should have at least two teachers who are trained in any two sports.
- Every student should play two sports, and one of these should be a local/traditional game.
- Schools would have to apply online at the official government website for the rating.
- Once the Fit India Mission verifies the claim of the school, it issues an online certificate and a commendation letter. These details would also be printed and sent to the school through postal mail.
- Fit India is expected to be included in the Prime Minister’s Awards.
Long Essay on Fit India School (500 words)
Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched the Fit India Movement on 29th August, 2019 at the national capital. This day has been observed as National Sports Day throughout the country to commemorate the birth anniversary of former hockey player, Major Dhyan Chand. Modi said that the movement aims to educate Indians on the importance of physical activity and encourage them to lead a healthier lifestyle.
On 5th December, 2019, the government also launched the Fit India School rating to award schools that lay special focus on educating students on adopting a healthy lifestyle. The Fit India Campaign is also expected to be included in the Prime Minister’s Awards.
How can a School be Recognised as Fit India School?
A school has to satisfy certain qualifying parameters in order to be recognised as Fit India School. These criteria are as follows:
- The school should have at least one physical education (PE) instructor who is fit and active.
- The school premises should have a playground where students play two or more outdoor games.
- There should be one PE period for each section on a daily basis. Students should engage in sports, dance, yoga, games, or physical training during this period.
- All students should spend at least 60 minutes on physical activities every day.
How can a School Qualify for 3-star Rating under Fit India School Campaign?
Listed below are the additional parameters that need to be satisfied for a school to be awarded a 3-star rating under the Fit India School program:
- All teachers in the school should spend at least 60 minutes each day on physical activities.
- The school should have at least two trained instructors specialising in physical education. Each of these instructors should be qualified in teaching at least two sports.
- The school should have the facilities for students to play four sports. This includes two outdoor sports as well.
- Every student in the school should play two sports. Once of these should be a traditional game.
How can a School Receive 5-star Rating under Fit India Program?
The additional parameters (over and above the 3-star rating requisites) that a school needs to satisfy to receive a 5-star Fit India School rating are as follows:
- The school should be conducting monthly sports competitions for students. It should also participate in sports competitions between schools, and celebrate ‘Sports Day’ annually.
- All instructors in the school should be trained in physical education.
- The school should have at least two sports teachers.
- The institution should adhere to a structured curriculum for PE, as per NCERT or the school board.
- The school should organise a fitness assessment of all students annually.
- The institution should allow neighbouring communities to use its playground after school hours. The management can levy a security or maintenance fee in this regard.
How can a School Apply for Fit India Star Rating?
- The school should register at the official government website for the certification.
- Once a school registers for the 3-star or 5-star rating, the Fit India Mission would validate the claim. The certificate and commendation letter is issued post the verification.
Once the certificate is issued, the school can use the Fit India Logo and Fit India Flag.
Fit India Movement Essay (300 words)
On 29th August, 2019 (National Sports Day), the Prime Minister of India, Narendra Modi launched the Fit India Movement. The occasion also saw a colourful ceremony of dance, sports, and martial arts performances.
Modi said that advancements in technology have led to a large number of Indians adopting a sedentary lifestyle. He also stressed on the importance of being active and physically fit. He highlighted that fitness has historically been an integral part of the Indian culture.
The launch of this program was also on the birth anniversary of legendary hockey star, Major Dhyan Chand.
The Prime Minister congratulated the sportspersons of the country who have been recognised on an international level.
Significance of Fit India Movement
The Fit India Movement is publicised to be a national goal. The government has taken the first steps in encouraging citizens to lead a healthy lifestyle, but it is our responsibility to take it forward from there.
Lifestyle diseases in India are alarmingly high today, and it is observed that there is a constant upward trend in the statistics. The worrisome part here is that the incidence of hypertension and diabetes in children is seen to be rising. However, one can put these lifestyle diseases at bay by focusing on leading a healthy lifestyle. The Fit India Movement makes an effort to bring about small lifestyle changes that would achieve this motive.
As per the Prime Minister, strong individuals would be the pillar of strong families and societies. This would only help the country move ahead with more vigour and enthusiasm in achieving its future goals. Hence, the Fit India Movement is a significant initiative that would safeguard the future of our nation.
Check out these related essays: