India is the most densely populated country in the world. With the population over 135 crores, India stands second after China in terms of population. Since the population is highly dense, the number of commuters is also very high, and sometimes they become unmanageable. Due to this reason, the government has to make specific guidelines for passengers for a smooth flow of traffic.
**Want to score above 95% in JEE Main**
Traffic rule, like any other rules, is essential for the smooth functioning of day to day activities. It is the set of guidelines that the government decides for everyone who propels on the road. These rules are equally important for both pedestrians and vehicles as well. Everyone from a two-wheeler car owner to a truck driver has to follow the same guidelines.
With the most number of two-wheelers and four-wheelers running on the roads, it isn’t easy to manage the traffic by the authorities. Therefore, these rules were framed. It is the liability of every citizen to follow the rules as they are framed for the safety of individuals.
The government made many changes to the existing rules, and now, the drivers have to pay the price in monetary terms for breaking the traffic rules. The government is doing its best to save people from the accident, but unfortunately, the drivers are not doing the same to protect themselves.
Important Traffic Rules
Everyday many people die or become handicapped in an accident. The main objective of traffic rules is to protect people from this disaster. Let us discuss some of the traffic rules we should follow while enjoying our drive.
- We must keep our vehicle on the left side of the road to allow the coming car from another direction to move on the right side.
- We should not use mobile while driving. If the call is important, stop your vehicle on the side of the road and then receive it. Receiving a call in the middle of driving will distract you, and you’ll end up hurting someone or yourself in the way.
- We must keep our vehicle away from the footpath so that pedestrians can safely walk on it.
- The speed of the vehicle should not be more than the minimum limit, especially when there are obstacles on the road like speed-breakers or while taking a turn.
- Wearing helmets is compulsory while driving a two-wheeler. It is not only a rule but also essential to save your own life as it protects our skull in an accident. It is also necessary to wear seat belts in the car.
- We must park our vehicle at the appropriate places where parking is allowed. Parking the vehicle at an inappropriate place or no parking area is illegal and also punishable.
- The horns of the vehicle must be used precisely and under unavoidable circumstances. The access uses of horn disturb other co-travelers and also creates noise pollution.
- There must be some distance between the vehicle in front and the back. We must maintain this distance to avoid a collision.
- We should not apply sudden brakes as this may create a jerk, and you will lose balance from the vehicle or worst someone moving in the back can collide, and someone can get injured.
- We must take precautions while taking the U-turn. We must look at both sides of the road and also back before making a U-turn.
- We must follow traffic signals on the road. Traffic signals are for our guidance on the way. So we must obey them.
Importance of Traffic Rules
Rules are necessary for the smooth functioning of any activity. The same is the case with traffic. Traffic rules are equally important for the smooth operation of traffic and making the travel comfortable. It is also equally important that people follow and obey these rules.
To keep a check on it, our government has appointed The Traffic Police Department. The primary function of this department is to implement traffic rules effectively and also check if people are obeying it or not. The traffic police also settle disputes that occur on the road due to chaos and confusion.
Sometimes the traffic is caused not by human’s fault but because an animal is resting in the middle of the road.
Traffic rules were formulated to avoid jams, accidents, and injuries. Traffic rules are important because life is directly related to traffic. As explained before, many regulations in traffic directly influence and save a life. Everyday many people lose their lives in road accidents just because of their negligence on traffic rules. The very common is amongst the youngster who does not want to wear a helmet while driving the motorcycle. Just for the pleasure, they risk their and other’s lives and ultimately meet with an accident, which is very painful for him as well as the family members. Therefore, traffic rules play an important role in the safety of the people.
It is essential to have traffic rules, but it is more important for people to follow these rules. It is an irony of fate that in India, not all, but in the majority, people break the traffic rule now and then. They drive through wrong sides, unnecessarily overtake, and over speeding is also very common. They not only risk their lives in doing so but also the lives of people driving or walking on the road. Sometimes, not following traffic rules can kill a stray animal too.
Due to this irresponsible driving, many accidents take place daily. One should follow the rules once they come on the road. Driving carelessly and irresponsibly can save you a little bit of time but ends up taking life. Sometimes the accidents are the reason for traffic on the road.
Always remember that time is valuable, but not more than our life. We can enjoy this time with our family only if we are alive. Therefore, drive safely and reach home safely. Your loved ones are waiting at home for you to come, not for your dead body.